Sevenoaks Charity Cup (Senior) Champions 1992-93

Sevenoaks Charity Senior Cup Winners 1992-93

Platt taste final glory as two goal Woodward sinks Town.

Sevenoaks Town  0   Platt Utd  4

Report courtesy of Derek Hodge.

Platt United lifted the prestigious Sevenoaks Charity (Senior) Cup for the first time in the club's history after an emphatic 4-0 victory over Sevenoaks Town in Easter Monday's final at Greatness Park.

A brace of goals by Dean Woodward in the last half hour exposed Town's ragged defence after the Cup holders had looked the more likely winners earlier on. Watched by a crowd of more than 300 this was the first Senior final involving two local sides for many years, but they left disappointed with the quality of football served up. The one individual jewel was Sevenoaks' Lee Phillips who had an outstanding 20 minutes before half-time during which he created enough chances for his side to have retained the magnificent silver trophy.

The Mid Kent side, who have had an excellent season and are well placed to gain promotion from Division Two of the FCN Music Kent County League, started brightly and Ian Chirnside could have scored in the opening minutes but for a desperate save by keeper Dean Barton.

After this early scare for Town the exchanges were frantic and physical. A long ball out of defence found Andre Pingault down the left flank and his first time cross into the goalmouth picked out the unmarked Robin Jenner. With Platt keeper Paul Padfield caught in noman's land the Town forward lost his footing and the chance went begging. Minutes later Martin Weller got behind a flat footed Platt defence. Padfield narrowed the angle and Weller drove his shot into the side netting.

Gradually both sides began to settle down with the Mid Kent side playing some neat one-touch football. Darren Fisher had a penetrating diagonal run from a deep position but then lost control and Town gained possession.

Platt were awarded a free kick just outside the 18 yard area for a foul on Chirnside but Colin Cable's shot went well wide of the target. Pinnell sent over a nice angled cross into the danger zone but Mark Morgan, the smallest player on the pitch, headed clear. The game then went through a scrappy period when both teams ballooned the ball into the air and Platt appeared to lose their motivation.

Phillips then began to get to grips with United's midfield and one penetrating run down the left when he evaded several lunging tackles before crossing the ball was particularly memorable. Jamie Brady had a header from a corner punched clear by Padfield only as far as Phillips whose shot hit the upright.

Jenner had a tremendous shot from 25 yards pushed over the crossbar which brought loud applause from the spectators. Then the same player failed to make contact with the ball in front of goal following a cross from Phillips.

A reckless tackle by Morgan just outside the penalty area on Fisher forced referee Mr Keith Berry from Orpington to get out his notebook. From the resultant free-kick Woodward curled a left foot shot wide of the target.

Town began the second half on the attack. Pingault broke down the right but instead of passing to Phillips who was in a good position shot well wide. Weller was then bundled down by Cable and needed treatment for an injured knee.

At the other end Woodward, a former Dartford player, held the ball up well before a nice reverse pass found Trevor Shaw whose shot cleared the crossbar. Platt substitue Ian Grognet replaced Mark Lovelock and was immediately involved in an attack which gave pinnell the chance to get forward down the left flank but Jenner made a timely interception.

Skilful play by Weller inside the penalty area ended with Padfield saving a left footed shot. The same player then went on a mazy run through the middle but was pulled back by Graham Hinman who became the second player to be booked.

Sheer persistence by Cable down the right put him clear of the nearest defender, Ian Godfrey and a hard low shot went into the net just inside the upright. Platt then applied considerable pressure. A bad clearance by Ian Gaston went straight to Fisher who failed to capitalise while Chirnside also wasted two clear cut chances.

Town had a chance to level when Phillips worked the ball through the heart of Platt's defence. It broke loose to Weller but the forward could not control the ball sufficiently to get in a shot.

A long ball caused disarray in the Town defence and Woodward was on hand to strike the ball past Barton. Town's prolific scorer Russell Tompkins replaced Morgan and as frustration crept into Town's play Brady was spoken to by the referee.

In the 78th minute Chirnside broke through Town's defence and beat Barton and soon after the same player had another opportunity but shot wide.

Pingault shot straight at Padfield, Ross Campbell had a header comfortably saved while at the other end good work down the right by Chirnside saw him cross to Woodward who finished clinically.

Mr Charlie Hatt of the Sevenoaks District Sports Council, who sponsored the game, presented the trophy.

Team: P.Padfield, R.Skilman, M.Lovelock, C.Cable, T.Shaw, I.Pinnell, G.Hinman, D.Fisher, D.Woodward, I.Chirnside, L.Gill, I.Grognet, R.Merry.