Smiths Cup (Junior) R/U 1990-91

Newcomers take trophy in first final.

Platt 'A'   2        Borough Green Rangers   3

Report courtesy of Paul Hart.

Newly-formed Borough Green Rangers are on course for a League and Cup double in their first season following last Wednesday night's Smith's Charity (Junior) Final victory over rivals Platt 'A' under floodlights at Otford Recreation Ground.

The final, played on a pitch which was a credit to Otford groundsman, Dave Knell, had originally been scheduled to take place on Boxing Day but was called off after the Greatness Park pitch became water-logged.

Rangers, only joined the Hire-It League at the beginning of this season and are currently second in Division Three with two games in hand over leaders Crockham Hill.

Platt, who are also relative newcomers to the League having only joined two seasons ago, were the first to threaten when a half-chance fell to their experienced striker, Gary Bowman, within the first 60 seconds but he shot wide. However, Platt went ahead in the second minute when a precision pass from left-back Alan Merriman found the dangerous Gary Whatman on the right wing who drilled home a shot from just inside the area into the far corner.

Having survived the initial pressure, Rangers began to settle and equalised three minutes later. Gary Adams' pass found Ian Chirnside in the area, whose thunderous shot from close range was brilliantly stopped by Platt keeper Alec Miles, but he was unable to hold on to the rebound and the striker netted at the second attempt.

Just before half-time Platt's centre-half, Barry Charlton, blazed over from the edge of the area following a Broad corner and then a run by Whatman, which saw him beat three defenders, ended with Baker shooting just past the post.

The second-half began with another poor back pass to the Borough Green keeper being intercepted but Whatman's shot was well saved by keeper Sexton. Then at the other end White went close with a 25-yard shot which Miles saw late.

Rangers went ahead in the 72nd minute. Salt and Corp prized open the Platt defence and after the former's effort had been saved by Miles he unselfishly laid the ball to Corp who coolly slotted home.

In the 80th minute Salt found himself with just the keeper to beat but he took the ball too wide and the chance was lost.

Platt's Greg King made several strong runs down the right flank and Adams had a header tipped over the bar by Miles.

Rangers effectively put the result beyond doubt in the 83rd minute when Corp, who was deservedly man-of-the-match, scored his second goal from Adam's cross.

In the very last minute Platt's Barry Charlton scored a consolation goal with a delicately flighted shot from about 18 yards.

Team: A.Ball, A.Merriman, G.King, B.Charlton, P.Brackell, G.Whatman, M.Broad, P.Baker, G.Bowman, P.Curtis, M.Whatman, G.Broad.