Weald of Kent Charity Cup (Jnr) R/U 2006-07

Weald of Kent Junior Cup Runners-Up 2006-07

Platt let opportunity slip to recapture cup.

Platt Utd  1      Woodstock Park 2

Platt United were unable to recapture the cup they had won twice back to back seven years ago, when they were beaten by Kent County League rivals Woodstock Park at Otford Utd FC's ground.

Platt played the better football in a hard fought first-half, but were unable to make it count in front of goal. Both Platt's strikers Sean Attwater and Craig Bruce missed several chances between them to put their side in front against their Sittingbourne based opponents.

So it came somewhat of a bitter blow when Woodstock Park took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Ricky Baverstock struck the ball past keeper Adam Luscombe from a cross out wide.

The second-half started in much the same way as the first-half with Platt playing the more constructive football, albeit they were unable to penetrate the Woodstock defence as often as they did during the first forty five minutes.

Woodstock Park increased their lead against the run of play with a fine move that ended with their best player James Ellis finishing clinically in front of goal low to the the keepers right to make it 2-0.

Platt knew they needed to respond quickly to stay in with a chance and they duly grabbed an immediate reply when Platt's impressive Craig Bruce set up Ricky Drury who took the ball in his stride before calmly chipping over the advancing Woodstock Park keeper to reduce the deficit.

It was now all one-way traffic with Platt pushing forward inspired by Man-of-the-Match winner Stuart Wells who was winning everything in the middle of the park.

Platt's Player-Manager Darren Fisher made a substitution, introducing himself at centre-back to free up Tony Hicks to push forward and look for an equaliser. A tactic which so nearly paid dividends when Tony Hicks played a magnificent through-ball to Craig Bruce.

Ricky Drury receives strong attention during Weald of Kent Charity Cup Final

Bruce collected the ball and evaded a lunging tackle from the last Woodstock defender, only to see him lose his footing at the vital moment and give the thankful Woodstock goalie the opportunity to come and gather the loose ball.

However, this was not to be Platt's last or indeed best chance, as in the dying seconds the ball fell to Ian Trim on the edge of the six-yard box and with the goal at his mercy, he made a poor connection and sliced the ball wide of the upright.

Platt had missed their opportunity to lift the cup for a third time, although they had certainly made Woodstock Park earn their victory having to defend relentlessly for the last twenty minutes of the final to lift the cup.

On top of Stuart Wells, who picked up the best player on show award, special mention must also go to Tony Hicks and Ricky Drury who both covered an incredible amount of ground over the course of the game.

Team: A.Luscombe, S.Plummer, T.Hicks, M.Smith, R.Baker, S.Wells, I.Trim, D.McCarthy, R.Drury, S.Attwater, C.Bruce, J.Matthews, D.Fisher, J.Howell-Williams, D.Bayes, M.Wickwar.

Stuart Wells receives Man-of-the-Match award in Weald of Kent Charity Cup Final